CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Why I'll Never Attend Church Again

The word church is from the Greek word, ecclesia, which means “assembly of people.”

According to the bible, the Old Testament, the people of the nation of Israel were chosen by God to carry forward his purposes and promises in the world. Eventually the Israelites failed to keep God’s commandments and were consequently subjected to punishment and captivity. [ref: Dr. J. Rodman Williams, Theologian] Following that, along came Jesus and you all know how that story version goes.

Ten years of my childhood, ages six to sixteen, were spent in active membership of a Baptist church. It was a fairly small church, congregation of 150 during regular weekly Sundays. With the exception of the occasional Christmas and/or Easter programs, my parents did not attend. But my mother stringently required my siblings and I to attend via the church van that presented itself at our doorstep every flippin Sunday.

Despite our initial reluctance it was not an unpleasant experience at all. In fact, those ten years spent immersed in activities like the junior choir, sleep-away camp for two weeks every summer, teen fellowship, teen bible study, those were the best years of my youth. During that period, when violence and turmoil was running rampant in my childhood home, the church offered the functional stability and love that I needed to provide some semblance of balance.

Having decided with certainty that my parents were a couple of asylum escapees, my childish eyes beheld the adults of my church with thankful reverence. In ease, and probably with some desperation, I grew accustomed to the love they proffered via kind and encouraging words. These encouragements spurred on my singing and my writing. When I was 14 my peers performed a Christmas play that was written and directed by yours truly. I fell into the arms of these adults, thankful for warm hugs of greetings every Sunday morning.

Fast forward to my senior year in college. I am planning my wedding and thrilled with anticipation. Not because I am planning some fairy tale princess wedding. Phfft! I’ve never been into that girly crap! My biggest thrill is I am anticipating a family reunion. A love-fest to include all of the people that watched me grow up. See where this is going?

For my wedding 95 invitations were sent out, 25 designated to my church family, including the pastor and his wife. When husband-to-be and I discussed our wedding plans, the only thing that I allowed myself to get excited about was the prospect of seeing my church family again. The wedding day came and went. Not only did NO ONE from my church family attend my wedding, but NO ONE called or sent a card either. Seriously. Not ONE person. I was too shocked to release any emotional response to that episode. No tears, no anger. The only thing I can say I felt was a quiet dismay.

For the sake of my children, several years later I returned to the church. I belonged to a non-denominational church for a few years when they were small. Eventually we stopped. We stopped because they began to see what I saw as a teenager and as a young adult. The hypocrisy was all over the place and I grew tired of explaining the oxymoron of negative behaviors of some of the adults in church.

Here’s what I decided. People attend church for one of two or both things. One is for guidance and the other is for fellowship. The guidance they seek comes through the weekly sermons and the bible study. The fellowship is fulfilled in gathering and exchanging thoughts and ideas with the other members of the church. At this stage in my life I’ve learned every thing I need to know about god’s rules of engagement for living on his planet. And those rules don’t change. As for fellowship, I’m not interested. I have no desire to have my life criss-cross weekly with lives that are not of my choosing. I already get that through parenting and I hate it.

Though we are ALL merely flawed mortals, some of us come with more baggage than others. And for some reason (at least it’s been my experience), the ones with the MOST baggage can be found sitting in church every Sunday. I believe in god, I believe in prayer. That’s all I need.

Religion is a good idea and I understand its concept in promoting social order. This post is not meant to discourage the idea of organized religion. Rather it is a statement on behalf of those of us who are active in our spiritual life, but choose to worship god outside of the confines of a church and its assembly.

Eyes wide open, icanseeclearlynow

13 comments:

quietstorm said...

based on your experience i understand how you feel about church. and i agree with an active spiritual life. we see things eye to eye. the church may do well for some, but it's become so hypocritical and full of pretence. nice job on this one! as always u never disappoint!

Jenni said...

My husband feels the same way you do and had a similar experience. He was very active in his Christian church, and had what he felt was a strong support group there. However, when he went through the roughest period of his life, his divorce from his first wife, all his church friends disappeared. For all their talk of the unconditional love of Jesus, it seems that their own "love" was quite conditional, and if you didn't play by their rules, you were not entitled to it.

Years later, when Jeff and I moved in together, he tried to reconnect with some of his church friends. We got together with them one day, and it was terribly uncomfortable. They talked to him, but since I am not a practicing Christian, they completely ignored me. There was one point where I tried to talk to someone, and he lowered his head, turned and walked away from me. I was both shocked and amused by the rudeness of this deliberate "cut!"

That day pretty much sealed it for Jeff. He realized what hypocrites these people were and decided his spiritual life would be best served outside of the church.

Unknown said...

First off, I love this post. You are so eloquent!

As a follower of an alternative religion, one of the phrases that comes up often is this:

The one true religion is the one you practice when no one is looking. - Pete Pathfinder, founder of Aquarian Tabernacle Church

I modify that into, "Spirtuality is the religion you practice when no one is looking." Some people have religion - i.e. the fellowship with others of similar beliefs - but never have spirituality, while others have spirituality without feeling the need or desire to commune with others of similar faiths.

To me, spirituality is what keeps me balanced, not religion. My beliefs are my own, and I get guidance from the world at large instead of from one person talking in my general direction once or twice a week. (That statement is not meant to insult or offend anyone, though it may do so.)

I'm all for being choosy about who we cross paths with when we can help it, especially if the intersection is not conducive to my spirituality.

Chatterness said...

Maria, your post is intense, yet gentle and genuine. I admire you for tackling a topic of such and being so gentle about it.

You took from the church all you needed to and it seems like the foundation of its purpose will always be with you regardless if you step foot into the physical building.

Church is for hypocrites. You got that right. Church is for the weak, the heavy laden, the poor, those without hope, love, faith...it's for sinners and those who seek spiritual refuge. I delight to see hypocrites in church. Maybe one out of a million sermons MIGHT hit them between the eyes! It is my wish that every church be filled to capacity with hypocrites...God knows they need the "laying of hands" on them!!!!

I cannot believe that not one church member acknowledged your wedding day. That is really sad. I am so sorry for that. I find comfort in knowing that it served its purpose in your life and it served it well. Imagine what would have happened had you not had the church during your dark days.

I worship in a Roman Catholic church, however, I'm a big fan of other religions as well. I attended a non-denom church for 10 years, a Baptist church for several years and have visited Lutheran, Methodist, Mormon, Penacostal, and other churches. I will go wherever the word of God is preached. I may not agree with all the doctorine, but my heart delicately picks and chooses what to capitalize on.

In all honesty, the assembly of people I will forever be in debt to are the Mormons. When I was a single parent and had a 14 day stay in the hospital for a botched hysterectomy, it was the Mormons who came to my rescue.

My teaching partner (at the time) was also a Mormon Bishop. He got a team of 9 people to come to my house, while I was bedridden, and had them cook, clean, wash, do my lawn, run errands etc.. They wouldn't accept a dime for it...they prayed with me and for me...they never stopped coming until I asked them to.

If you love the Lord, then it matters not what building you worship in.....or if you even step foot into that building...

The way you presented this controversial topic defines who you really are. I have so much respect for you.

Granny Annie said...

I have been eagerly awaiting this post. You did not disappoint me. You put into words some things I always try to say.

Only recently have I heard Gandhi's quote on Christians: "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Granny Annie said...

I am afraid that I have to add what my father, a 40 plus year minister, would say. He would tell me (and often did) that it's now about what I get from the church but what I give. It is about the example I set for others. I've just given up trying to set that example inside formal religion because it has become so close minded.

Nikki said...

hey there Maria!! Great Post as usual......you and I talked about this a bit before you wrote the post and I can see now why you are turned off to church "people". I am Mormon as you know and go to church every sunday for 3 hours and sometimes more during the week depending on what is going on. We have no paid clergy in the Church and all the members volunteer their time for the different auxilaries in the ward or congragation. Too many "church goers" and "non church goers" point their fingers too often at eachother and it is not right anyway that it is pointed. There are some bad christians there are bad non christians there are bad Mormons there are bad people and they are bad because they choose to be and for no other reason. I believe you can be spiritual and religious at the same time. Glorifying yourself for being religious would for sure lower ones spirituality. Only humble people are spiritual people. I like this post because it shows how people view eachother and how we need to be less judgemental of all people. church goers and non church goers alike.......great job!!! Nikki

icanseeclearlynow said...

quietstorm, yatbmahotp!

jenni, apparently you and i have a similar sense of humor. cuz i would have had to stifle a smile or giggle if that guy dropped his head and walked away from me mid-sentence. thanks for stopping by and tell your mom i wish her smiles & hugs.

andrea, "...especially if the intersection is not conducive to my spirituality." -exactly! when she was in 7th grade, my youngest explored your very religion. a lot of parents would have panicked, but i thought it was smart of her. and it showed me that she'd been paying attention to our church experiences. both of our daughters DETEST judgemental behavior. thanks for your kudos!

patti, your comment could have been a beautifully written post. thanks for your considerate words. i'm sorry to learn of your botched surgery. you are SOOO fortunate to have had your bishop friend and other mormons step in to help you during that difficult time. what a blessing! i know from my own experience and readings what wonderful people mormons are!

granny annie, thank you sweetie! i like that ghandi quote. about what your dad has always said, hmmm, yah! well, i share YOUR sentiments. the lives i'm called to touch are outside the church.

nikki, thanks honey-bunny! hey as far as mormonism, you and rob are excellent walking billboards for this way of life. beautiful beautiful! i am too much in the "world" to join at this point, as you know (unless of course, they'll let me bring my beverages ;) of course i agree with you, in EVERY sect of the human race, there are good people and bad people. i know NOT ALL church goers are hypocrites. i just don't like having to interact with a bunch of them to get to the good people.

EVERYONE, thanks for giving this so much thought and sharing your experiences. it makes this post that much better!

Lucy Stern said...

Well, I am a Mormon too and it is sad to read that your church family did not attend your wedding..It seems odd that not one person showed up. I probably would have quit going to that church too if that had happened.

I started out a Baptist but joined the Mormon faith when I was 28 yrs. old. I love my Mormon family and know that they are there for me if I need them.

There are good and bad in every religion and you just have to find the right place to be. As for me, I need the church family. I feel loved and cared for and I am there when my Brothers and Sisters need me too.

I am sorry that you had such bad experiences, yet I am happy that you spent many good years with a church family. I wish you lots of love.

ba and the boys said...

i love you and i havent even met you! i believe that if everyone listened to the 10 commandments (or what ever is simular in their religion), the world just be a good place. even if you dont go to church, if you have a firm grasp on what is right and wrong morally, then you will go far.
xoxo ba (nikkis friend)

Sandi said...

I see my daughter found your blog! I warned her it would be addictive. I grew up Roman Catholic and was always put off by mass where most people were balancing their checkbooks, talking to each other, or just plain looking bored. I've always considered myself a spiritual person, but not "religious". My defining moment was when I married my kids' father and the Catholic church wouldn't marry us because he was baptized in another religion. Then when we had trouble getting pregnant and tried to adopt,Cstholic Charities told me that since I wasn't married in the church, they wouldn't help me. They flat out told me they would rather give a child to a Protestant couple than to a "fallen" Catholic!

So organized religion is not for me. Leading a good life and believing in a higher power - that works.

Spades said...

those were the reasons I stopped going, hypocrisy, and quite frankly I felt that my time could be better used elsewhere. So I draw my spiritual sustanence from nature, tithe to charity, and fellowship by volunteering - I'm ok with this.

Brown English Muffin said...

I need to send this link to my husband this is the EXACT reason we don't attend church on a weekly basis but you've put it into such concise words.