CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, November 15, 2007

How O.J. Simpson Divided Our Nation

Readers I suggest strongly that if you’re going to read the following article, you suspend your emotions, you open your minds, and you open your hearts. If you can’t do that then hop off my blog cause you’re just going to get yourself all riled up for no reason.

First off, let’s get one thing straight. O.J. Simpson is a RESPONSIBLE party in the deaths of Nicole Brown-Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman. In 1994 our nation was divided by race lines when O.J. Simpson was charged and arrested for the grisly murders of his ex-wife Nicole and her friend, Ronald Goldman. Though O.J. received a not-guilty verdict in criminal court, he was found liable for the deaths of Nicole and Ron and subsequently ordered to pay over $3 million in damages.

Twenty-five years ago OJ was a young African-American man enjoying success and celebrity during a period when the nation was grappling with hotbeds of racial turmoil throughout the country. In 1972 O.J. became the first running back to rush for 2,003 yards, becoming the first player to ever pass the 2000 yard mark. He was named NFL player of the year in 1972 and 1973 and would eventually be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame in 1985.

Nicole was an admittedly shy and insecure person. She was also young, blonde and beautiful, these traits typically present in a trophy-wife. The two met in 1977 at a Beverly Hills night club when Nicole was 18 and OJ was 30. They were eventually married in February 1985. The honeymoon period in their marriage elapsed quickly and after seven years riddled with domestic violence, the two separated.

According to the Brown family, during their stormy marriage police were called by neighbors to their home on a few occasions, yet despite the bruises on Nicole’s face, O.J. was never arrested and reports were not filed. Finally on January 1, 1989, Nicole suffered a beating by O.J. that was so bad, pictures were taken of her face and body and medical reports were recorded citing O.J. as the source of her bruises. These reports and pictures would be on display during her eventual murder trial.

Nicole divorced O.J. in 1992, the same year that Los Angeles erupted into what would become known as the Rodney King Riots or more famously, the L.A. Riots. I will explain later how the riots largely impacted the murder trial outcome and the views of everyone involved, including the courtroom spectators and television viewers.

Plain and simple O.J. was a bully of the worst kind: he was a bully with privilege and influence because of his celebrity status. Unfortunately for the Brown and Goldman families, at the time of Nicole and Ron’s deaths this country was in the throes of racially charged unrest and their loved ones would become collateral damage for that period.

On June 12, 1994 the bodies of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman were found just hours after they’d been brutally murdered. Nicole’s throat was cut, her head nearly severed from her body. In the courtyard of her condo, both Nicole and Ron were stabbed multiple times while her children slept in the bedrooms above.

Five days after the murders police found a “suicide note” from O.J. in which he professed his innocence and said his goodbyes to friends. In pure circus-dramatic form, the note was read on television by one of his lawyers as television cameras filmed him leading the police on a slow-speed car chase. Supposedly O.J. was holding a gun to his head as he sat in the back of the white Ford Bronco famously driven by one of his cronies.

Following this hours-long pursuit, O.J. eventually turned himself in. The trial of the century ensued and we all know how the story ends. In 1995 O.J. got away with the murders because in 1994 Los Angeles was a racially charged mess!

The murder trial came on the heels of the acquittal of three police officers in 1992, who were caught on film, beating an unarmed and defenseless Rodney King, who moments before had led them in a high speed pursuit. The acquittals lead to the L.A. riots which lasted four days, resulting in millions of dollars in property damages and the loss of 53 lives.

The Los Angeles police department had a well-deserved reputation for racial profiling and biased treatment against blacks during that period. Adding to the racially charged environment, just a few months before the riots, 15 year old Latasha Harlins, an African-American, was shot and killed by a Korean store owner in L.A. who suspected her of shoplifting.

During the O.J. Simpson murder trial one of the key witnesses for the prosecution, L.A.P.D Detective Mark Furhman, perjured himself. He denied that he’d ever used the word “nigger” during his career, but an audio tape played by the defense proved he’d used it repeatedly. This had a huge negative impact on the prosecution’s case.

Now I’m not saying everyone across the country was hoping for a particular verdict because of the SKIN COLORS of the lead characters in this tragic story. BUT the TRUTH is MOST of us were and justifiably so. In 1994 white people were HORRIFIED that a murderer who happened also to be black would not pay the price for taking the lives of two of their own. In that same year black people were justifiably angry and outraged with their treatment by police.

Black people didn’t care whether O.J. did it or not, it was time for the tables to turn. In previous years countless black lives were taken at the whim of racist white men without any consequences. So why shouldn’t O.J. get away with these murders?

Well here we are, it’s now 2007. O.J. is in the press again, facing a pending burglary trial, because as luck would have it, he is just as stupid as he is arrogant. Hopefully by now we’ve all pulled back from the trees and we’re looking at the forest. Hopefully we’ve pulled closer to each other with more understanding and an appreciation for our respective, previous biases. Hopefully we can now agree with shared understanding that one way or another O.J. should be sent to jail.

"Let's say I committed this crime .... even if I did do this, it would have been because I loved her very much, right?"

-- O.J. Simpson
1998 Interview
Esquire Magazine

Eyes wide open, icanseeclearynow

25 comments:

Sandi said...

Well written. It's sad that someone who had so much going for him just couldn't handle it and became a thug. Or maybe he was a thug all along. And thugs come in all colors. The only surprising thing is that it took so long for him to be in trouble a second time. HIs first trial was during a different time. It will be interesting to see what happens this time.

bella said...

Very well written.
And I particularly appreciate your disclaimer at the beginning.
Open minds and hearts is the only thing that allows for connection, the ability to truly hear others without needing to agree or disagree, but something beyond that all together.
I remember the OJ trials so well and reading this it all came back.
Seeing it in the larger perspective of what was going on in the culture, sheds a sad story. Understandable and yet it makes me sad.
Keep writing and keeping it real.
And I'll keep returning!

icanseeclearlynow said...

sandi & bella, first let me thank you for being the two that seemed to be waiting for the latest post on this blog. your comments appeared in less than 30 minutes of my posting this article. i am flattered and honored.

sandi, thanks. yes, it will be interesting to see how things unfold in this different era of our culture.

bella, yes, we continue to evolve from sad places in our society. but though there are some that would like to disagree, i believe things are getting better. and i promise to record this evolution and reveal the naysayers for who and what they are. ha!

Nikki said...

Awesome!!! My juices are definately flowing on this one as I am sure you knew they would be......At the time of the trial I was newly married and working part-time in a job that allowed me to listen to the trial on the radio. I watched and listened like an addict and quite frankly couldn't get enough. I listened and analyzed it every night, especially since I was planning on attending law school at the time. You will be surprised to know that based on the trial itself and the witnesses, I thought that OJ was not guilty and up until the recent confession would have argued that argument. I still think there is NO DOUBT the police planted evidence. I also had a hard time convicting based on a barking dog as a time line, Kato as a witness, and a limo driver who didn't convince me of anything. Now in light of what has transpired with the "if I did it" book I am convinced that the biggest problem was a crappy prosecution that was more interested in showboating for the cameras than in prosecuting a murder. While I do think the LAPD and the government of Los Angeles is corrupt, even as we speak, I don't think jury nullification transpired here. Unfortunately a murderer walked free because of shady police work, bad lawyering and courtroom drama. And according to the Constitution of the United States based on the evidence planting ALONE, he should be set free. We all knew he would eventually cook his own goose and sure enough he has.......great read!!! and I also liked your post about your upcoming topic!! BRILLIANT I looked for it all day today.....chao chickie!!
Nikki
PS. Imagine me a conservative thinking OJ is innocent.......and as time went on and he appeared to be a complete idiot more and morein the news, I emphatically argued that he was too stupid to get away with murder........but like you said he was rich enough!!

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

He is no longer "rich". He is no longer "beloved". Johnny Cochran can't come a rescue him. And while it still exists to some degree, the nation is no longer in the racial turmoil it once was. Its time for OJ to face the music. An average Joe (black white or purple) would not have gotten away with the things he has.

KellytheCulinarian said...

I can still remember where I was and what I was wearing when the verdict was read. I remember watching the bronco for hours.

Angel said...

God girl, don't even get me started!! ;)

I always thought OJ was guilty as sin...didn't care WHAT color his skin was. And I totally believe that "God don't like ugly"...OJ deserves to be in jail, and now, maybe he will finally get there.

icanseeclearlynow said...

nikki, yeah, the lapd really screwed this up with their over-eager cops. ugh! i can suggest to you why you may have thought him innocent for a while there. but that's for a phone conversation girlie! thanks for your kudos, nik!

cheeky, he's gonna get slammed for doing something that might otherwise might have drawn a slap on the wrist. right is right!

kelly, i can see still see the tiny kitchen in my old apartment where i watched that RIDICULOUS slow-speed chase.

beth, girl i got my own self started. i had to check myself a few times as i wrote cause this guy - ugh! - really is irksome. nothing is worse than a bully in my book!

Nikki said...

I am interested in what your theory is to my thinking him innocent :).......I would like to mention that one of the main reasons is that I think the media is RETARDED and I DO NOT BELIEVE 95% OF WHAT THEY SAY. So I try to be objective in all things reported and like you do research before I make any decision. So I look at evidence. His being black never entered my mind and I felt no pressure to appease. 2 people dead 1 or 2 killers on the loose, he is a justifiable suspect especially because of his history of domestic violence. AND I do think he likes to GET OFF on people thinking he got away with it.....so morbid. I view the media as liars,distorters and exaggerators, so I question ALWAYS!!!!. It would appear in the case of OJ that his guilt showed its ugly head and evil is evil and is found in all races. So there I go OPINING again.....I have neglected my blog immensely this week........but you can see I made up for it on yours!!!hehe. happy weekend chickie

toenquireiswise said...

Dear M.E.A.,

I've done as you've asked, which was to suspend my emotions, open my mind, and open my heart. Please return the favor, if you consider yourself a fair-minded individual capable of the same, and accept my invitation to read my two most recent posts regarding O. J. Simpson. Most of America has made their decision based on what the mainstream media offered up in newspapers, magazines, and radio and television broadcasts. In doing so, they missed the most essential elements to the case, which also, upon even the lightest inspection, are the more obvious points. Why these such obvious elements were ignored could only point to media bias, moreso than reasonable thinking adults on either side of the racial divide then and now. Please invest approximately 10-15 minutes in reading my two most recent blogs concerning O. J. Simpson entitled,
I Remember the White Carpet - O. J. Didn't Do It!

and

In Defense of O. J. Simpson

Since blogs appear in the order of the most recent, I ask you to read In Defense of O. J. Simpson first - this will give you my personal reasons for posting the blogs after many years. I have in my heart and mind to continue the series to address the various obvious factors which led to my belief in O. J.'s innocence even before the trial was over. My beliefs were not influenced by the mainstream media reports, but by thoughtful consideration to the many things about the case that just didn't add up. Feel free to contact me via e-mail: ama_yah@yahoo.com

Regards to you and yours,

Jan Marie DeGennaro
To enquire is wise....

toenquireiswise said...

My apology! I guess it would help you to read my posts if I gave you the link to my page, right?

http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-ze6VLFE8erUUw3.9HSKutKNHrV0-;_ylt=Agt9_.V2kuuD6oleeR0Mko.0AOJ3?cq=1

Regards,

Jan Marie DeGennaro
To enquire is wise....

Chickie said...

I remember when the verdict was read. I was at work and everyone was standing around, listening to it on the radio. I remember that many of the people I worked with said that they felt he was guilty but were glad that he got off because it was time for a black man to get one over on the system.

You'd think that after getting one not guilty verdict that he'd try and live the rest of his life on the straight and narrow.

GracefulMommy said...

When I read about the Simpson case, I get nauseated all over again. What a terrible turn of justice, or lack thereof. However, I'm not sure whether or not OJ is guilty of everything the media is portraying. I have a gut feeling that this is some sort of witch hunt to get this guy in jail-by any means necessary.
But, just for the record...I hate to think of the Simpson/Goldman trial as a division of race lines, even though it was. It makes me frightened to think that we, as a human race, would look to the color of one's skin before we look to the wheels of justice to turn the way they should. Propaganda fuels so much anger. Sometimes I wish the media would all go away.

Anonymous said...

This was very well written, I was going t post something about this when he came back in the media again but, I decided to leave it alone because I would have just got all upset again. I have so many mixed feelings when it comes to him, and I think it is because of his kids, I always think about what are they really thinking inside, are they still hurting? It pisses me off!!!! but Hey I cannot be his Judge.. what does not come out in the wash.. always comes out in the rinse... that is whay my mom always say!!! Thank you again for this post it really made me think...
Ne.

icanseeclearlynow said...

hey nik, agreed the media sucks. i actually started out my career as a reporter for like a minute. ha! i couldn't play by their "boys on the bus" rules: everyone reports on the same thing, in the same order. bleh.

teiw, thanks for stopping by.

chickie, yep you speak the truth. guilty, yes, but time for a turn in the screwy justice system. i think it's fortunate that he didn't stay on the straight and narrow.

gracefulmommy, agreed. yes, definitely a witch hunt for oj. but, oh well. yeah, the media is a necessary evil.

me, me too. i spent years wondering about his children. i still think about them. sadly, there are all kinds of parents in this world, including selfish and damaging ones.

Granny Annie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
icanseeclearlynow said...

From Granny Annie-

I love what you say and how you say it. You state the facts and are clear and concise. I read this immediately after you posted it but I did not reply for one reason. You said, "In 1994 white people were HORRIFIED that a murderer who happened also to be black would not pay the price for taking the lives of two of their own." I know it will sound hoky but until we stop lumping ourselves of categories we'll not mesh. I am primarily of European descent but I am partially Native American and African. Regardless of my heritage, I consider Abraham Lincoln one of mine and Martin Luther King Jr. one of mine. Our biggest obstacles now are to pull together as Americans. It's all about content of character and I'm afraid O.J.s character has not proven to be very good.


granny annie, blogger is acting up on me. i would never delete a comment unless it was doubled. i read your comment through my email and have reposted it here.

thanks for your comments. in my writing, for the sake of addressing the black/white issues, some generalities are made. many of us do not fall into any ONE category, so pardon if it seems you are omitted or grouped. and thanks for the kind words about my writing.

maria

eyes_only4him said...

OJ is a piece of clumepd up cat litter..

One of these days..(God willing) he will get what coming to him..

He cant afford to buy his way outta anymore..

Granny Annie said...

Flip Flop Momma has said it all -- "OJ is a piece of clumped up cat litter..." I'm laughing so hard and know Icanseeclearly is as well. That is going to be my favorite expression from now on for low life sob's.

david mcmahon said...

Well presented. It sure was a case that everyone has an opinion on.

MissKris said...

Oh, I can't even BEGIN to comment on this one! This man just FRIES me! Arrrgggghhhhhhhh!

toenquireiswise said...

Some people think they are open minded but the truth is that if they are unwilling to look further into something, especially when it involves such a heinous accusation and marred reputation, they prove themselves to be quite narrow minded - despite their claims to the contrary. If you sincerely believe you are open minded enough to receive correction when you are mistaken, then I urge you to go here:

http://www.webtrendsnetwork.com/ojcoverup/main.html

If not, then you are more comfortable being wrong, for reasons only you could possibly know. I didn't believe O. J. committed those crimes because of many other things that just didn't add up, so I didn't need a DVD to convince me. However, I gained even more confirmation of my unflagging belief in his innocence after watching the DVD made available on the above website. A preview of the DVD appears on the website to give you an idea of its content, but I must say that there is MUCH MORE EVIDENCE AVAILABLE to convince any sane, intelligent, thinking person of O. J. Simpson's innocence.

For the record, I am a white woman, 49 years of age. It's not about race in my case - it's about truth and falsehood. In this case, the truth can set you free from hateful feelings toward a man who's been wrongly accused and whose reputation has suffered greatly because of it.

icanseeclearlynow said...

wise, it's one article, hon. move on with your life, mmmkay? thanks for stopping by.

:)

Chatterness said...

When I hear the name "OJ," I cringe. The only judgement that the world will be satisfied with is when he takes his last breath and faces the true JUDGE.

icanseeclearlynow said...

chatti patti, you're probably right.