CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, December 2, 2007

Homophobes, what are you hiding?

I know at least one (there’s probably more) teenager, 17, that is in the closet because his parents are homophobic. He is handsome, smart, thoughtful, and great fun to be around. In other words he’s a good teenager whose parents did a great job raising him.

It breaks my heart that this beautiful kid is living a lie, hiding his authentic self because the two people he loves the most has made it clear to him that they are AGAINST a gay lifestyle.

Why do some of us get so upset about the gay lifestyle?

Why are some of us homophobic and others of us not?

I’m not talking about the bandwagon people who follow the nay-sayers and quote religion and/or for lack of a better explanation will say, “It’s just not right.”

I am talking about the ones who get extremely agitated, those that will even go so far as to commit a hate-crime against a gay person. I’m also talking about those that will dedicate their careers, be it political or otherwise, to fight against every gay rights issue.

I will tell you why. It’s called PASSION. And passion is a dead give-away about what’s going on in your heart, my friends. In case you never knew, I will tell you that EVERY time you open your mouth, you open your heart. Every word you utter reflects your thinking. For instance if you are someone who lies, you’re likely to accuse someone of lying. If you are someone who has cheated, you’re likely to accuse someone of cheating. And so on.

We are only human. And humans are passionate about the things they care the most about. Most of us have either been through a divorce or know someone who has gone through one. Few of us have born witness to civil, clean break-ups. My break-up was ugly and messy. Why so?

Passion. One of us was still in love with the other and was roiling mad about letting go. It would take nearly two years of living apart for the ex and I to accept that our marriage was over and civilly move on with our lives.

So of course when I met my present husband nearly five years ago and saw how incensed his ex-wife was about him remarrying, I knew what I was witnessing. Passion.

My biological family is riddled with homophobic behavior. I have a lovely 18 year old nephew who has his own unique style of dressing; it reminds me of George Michael, the singer from the 80s. He likes straight-leg jeans, patterned shirts, and he usually loops a chain loosely through his belt loops. He has a mane that he’s proud of, sometimes wearing it big like Beth’s son, or in tight short curls. He has a large zirconia in one ear. Two years ago on a very brief visit back home I winced listening to my mother and my brother take turns calling him a faggot.

Two years ago I spent a few agonizing days in one of the southern states visiting my estranged sister, her hubby and their sweet two year old daughter. One morning as their daughter and I were watching Teletubby’s on Nickolodean, he walked into the living room, switched the station and informed me that he doesn’t allow his daughter to watch them due to their possible gay affiliation.

So here’s what I believe about you HOMOPHOBES who are PASSIONATE about being anti-gay. I think if you are a man, you have harbored fantasies about having intercourse with another man. If you are a woman you have harbored thoughts about having intercourse with another woman. And these thoughts scare the crap out of you. You are afraid that something in your demeanor will give these thoughts away, so you speak or act out against the gay lifestyle to show the world that you are as straight as a pin. You speak/act out against the gay lifestyle hoping that this will banish the thoughts.

Of course, we all know that trying to stifle our desires is often a lesson in futility. Thus, the dual lifestyles that many have chosen to lead. I would name a few celebrities, but I don’t want to upset you any more than I already have.

My nephew is straight, but his spirit is broken. He’s already been in trouble with the law on more than one occasion. As for my two year old niece, I predict she will announce that she’s as gay as sunshine by the age of thirteen. Check the blog in eleven years, and I’ll be tickled to let you know.

Eyes wide open, icanseeclearlynow

13 comments:

Nikki said...

WOW!!! Girlfriend I am speechless and trust me that is hard to do.......I must be honest I couldn't disagree more with this post. I will state for the record that clarity is far more important than agreement because trust me convincing will NEVER happen here on either side of this argument. Your claim is one of phsychology and is a mass generalization. How can you claim that if you are against a certain lifestyle then you inwardly WANT that lifelstyle?If I understanding you correctly if I am against pedophilia do I inwardly want to sexually abuse children? Phobia is an irrational fear, so homophobia a term to describe those who are against such a practice are irrational. So attach phobia to any lifestyle you want and it becomes irrational. Mormon-phobia would be an irrational fear of mormons but this stems from a disagreement in our lifestyle. perhaps people disagree with our avoiding drinking alcohol or coffee are they irrational.....no they just disagree. I can only state that I do not think that a persons "authentic" self can be in such conflict with nature. There is no way of convincing anyone that my thoughts on this are any more than a prejidice so let me for the sake of anyone who wants to understand my position without lumping it into a hole of bigotry say that I am not irratational nor am I fearful of homo-sexuals. This is a link to help you understand my religious belief. disagree that is fine I only ask you to understand. your post is thought provoking and important.keep it up!! you know I love it!!you may have to copy and paste it....
http://www.lds.org/library/display/0,4945,161-1-11-1,00.html

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

Yes, this is thought provoking. I am not sure I completely agree with the reason to hate is because we secretly have thoughts about being gay. But, you have given me something to think about.

There are so many factors to consider. And hate crimes occur not only for sexual orientation but also for the color of skin.

Its strange though how parents and grandparents judge their kids instead of just loving them. Or society in general - it seems most would rather find a way to dislike you based on outward appearance than to take the time to figure out for themselves if they like you or not.

I think the hate comes from not understanding and it happens in everything. I had a neighbor growing up, Sherie, who was a wonderfully talented sweet woman. She would bake cookies for me, and would play out in the snow with me and build snow bunnies. She was wonderful. Back in the mid 80's she found out she had AIDS (and remember what it was like back then) she wasn't gay, she got it from blood. She was dying and I wanted to spend time with her. My mother went nuts when she found out because we had eaten her cookies, I had played with her - we were gonna get it now. I at a young age knew better but my mother's fear came from not knowing about the disease and how it was transmitted. I still went to visit her as much as I could before she died. Sad how my Mom missed out on such a lovely lady out of ignorance.

I have a cousin who is gay. My sister and I always knew it. He has 2 older brothers. Growing up, he always played with my sister and I. Always. We had the greatest time together. My sister is closer to him than I am as we have gotten older (cause I move around so much). Much of the family shunned him at first (my sister and I could care less he was our cousin). Now they are "accepting" in that he comes to family things but they don't "discuss" it and he never brings anyone along.

I don't think it is our place to judge anyone for anything - that will come soon enough.

icanseeclearlynow said...

nikki, to quote you: "how can you claim that if you are against a certain lifestyle, then inwardly you want that lifestyle?" that is NOT what i am saying with this post. this post is about extreme behavior AGAINST the gay lifestyle. therefore, i am not talking about you or others that oppose it based on their religious beliefs. i said that in the post. ** people who are against pedophilic behavior do NOT compare with people who HATE the gay lifestyle. **you're right sweetie, we will always be on opposites sides of this issue. but of course, that changes nothing between us. i DO understand your reasons. re-read this post and see if you can understand mine. love ya back!

cheeky, you're right, some hate-crimes are also about a lack of understanding, fear of the unknown. i decided to explore a different angle on its motivation.

Angel said...

girl I need to e-mail you!!! we need to talk! I SO agree with you! If you are THAT passionate about hating gays....what are you REALLY thinking? that's what I want to know....

Nikki said...

Hey there........my bad I misunderstood, however I am sure there are plenty in the gay community that would think I am homophobic. I do there are certain terms that are derived from an effort to guilt prople into believing a certain way and I think this is such a term. It intimidates people into thinking their opinion is somehow a defect and then they question their belief. I am against gay marriage. but a lifestyle choice for an adult is exactly that: a choice. They should enjoy all the same rights offered to us in the constitution. I also believe a person should cover who they want to cover with their own insurance policy offered in employment, it is nobody's business who is covered under any one persons dime as long as they are under the same roof. People should be treated with respect regardless of lifestyle. But my support ends with gay marriage. I do understand a parents rejection with a gay lifestyle and I do not believe it is because of "homophobia". I would be devastated if my son decided he were gay for many reasons, AIDS, prominent promisuity among gay men, and of course I want lots and lots of grand babies and the big one is breaking a big commandment it would be his soul I would be concerned about. I don't find these reasons to be phobic. perhaps this kids parents have the same concerns. Of course the nature vs nurture argument is on going but I would never reject him because of it but I could never condone it either. I know this is a struggle for a lot of people that have these tendancies, but none of us are free from inward struggles. Not all urges should be acted upon. just a few more thoughts on this subject and I appreciate you hearing me out on this.......I think you are brave for throwing this out there and I am looking forward to more comments from others, I do think people do not want to appear "homophobic" so they refrain, and this is what I am talking about with usage of the term as an intimidating factor in an argument......keep up the great posts and you know I will come right back at ya......or at least the kindergartner in me will!!
:)
Nikki

icanseeclearlynow said...

woo-hoo! on the email thing cause i was reading your old blogs saturday night and i was thinking the SAME thing! your relationship with rae and your other beautiful kiddies is so similar to me and mine.

nikki, one of the things that i appreciate about your reading of my posts, is you put a lot of thought into your comments. let's call it a draw and agree to disagree, mmmkay?

Anonymous said...

Good topic once again Maria. This one is very close to home...

The gay community gets such a bad rap but what the media fails to recognize is that there are many normal same sex relationships out there too, with children and mortgages and everything. Why is it anybody's business who you go to bed with at night?

Sandi said...

My daughter has a sister who is gay and their father just recently found out. He basically banned her from his life. Says she can't be a Christian and gay. It's so sad. And he's the one who will lose out the most. I just don't get it. Even if a person believes being gay is someone's CHOICE rather than biological, it still should be honored. And how a person can turn their child away - one he's loved for over 30 years - is beyond me.

icanseeclearlynow said...

trish, thanks. yep, just normal people like you and i. the media- ugh! that necessary evil. the shame is that engine is made up of cowardly human beings.

sandi, that is just terrible that he banned her from his life. i believe just as he wants her to suffer, he is suffering from his own stubbornness in private moments. my sister is a jehovah's witness and i can NOT be in her presence due to her staunch ignorance.

Chatterness said...

I have only one thing to say, "God made Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve."

icanseeclearlynow said...

chatti patti, hmmm... alrighty then.

Chatterness said...

My former teaching partner was gay. He was my BEST friend. I loved him and his partner dearly. We were family. They both died of Aids. I shared many, many, wonderful years with them. I mourned hard. I'm still not fully recovered and it has been over 5 years. They died within 5 months of each other. My best friend (who also happens to be my cousin) is gay. We have been glued to the hip since we were 5 years old. I'm not homophobic. I'm not scared of gay people, nor am I uncomfortable around them. Gay men make the best friends in the whole wide world!! However, deep down in my soul, something whisper to me that it is wrong. It is not MY obligation to pass judgement, or sentence them. All I can do is minister to them the "truth" with kindness, love, and friendship. As a Christian, I am responsible for spreading the light of Jesus. I do it with love....not hate or prejudice.

icanseeclearlynow said...

chatti patti, thank you for taking the time to share so many of your thoughts on this. it is a tough topic that divides many people. the important thing, i think, is to come from a place of love as you and my vocal readers do.