CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, January 25, 2008

Our Next President: Is America Ready?

.... For her first Mormon President? Maybe. For her first female president? Maybe. For her first black president? I seriously DOUBT that.

I am NOT a political writer. I am an astute observer of people and their behaviors, my own included. I pay close attention to societal and individual trends, motivations, innuendos, needs, and other human conduct. And I write it all down.

That said, if you came here to find out about my politics, you are in for a disappointment. But if you are interested in knowing MY truth about America’s locale in her evolutionary spectrum of equality and objectivity, tune in. You’re in the right place.

Let’s begin with a look at the possibility of American voters choosing a Mormon for her next president. Could it happen in 2008? It certainly can. The question for voters has never been exclusively based on whether or not a candidate’s religion matches their own. For most voters, it has been a question of values: God, family, work ethic, love of country.

Of course there are places in history where we can cite religion as a matter of serious contention and the eventual basis for the voters’ choice. That is in line with the natural unfolding and evolving of any society. But when we take a closer look, the chasm of division was not very wide to begin with. It was simply a matter of understanding that while we were worshipping within separate parameters, we were sharing the same core values.

Historically our presidents were representatives, in majority, of the Episcopalian and Presbyterian religions. It should be noted, however, that Dwight Eisenhower, the 31st president, was of the Jehovah’s Witness sect. Herbert Hoover and Richard Nixon were of the Quaker sect. John F. Kennedy, as we know, was the nation’s first Catholic president. Therefore, it should be understood that non-traditional religious representation in the White House has established precedents.

What’s not been done as yet in American politics is voting a woman or a black man into presidential office.

Would you like to know what my response was to learning in early 2007 that Barack and Hilary would make a bid for the 2008 presidential elections? I rolled my eyes, sighed and said, “I guess we’re in for four more years of a republican presidency.” Why that reaction? Because we are NOT there yet. We are NOT ready.

A woman for president? Maybe. Eventually. But for now Hillary Clinton is NOT the one. Most of America sees Hillary as simply an extension of her husband Bill. And let’s not forget that a LOT of voters HATE her for numerous, legitimate reasons. Voting Hillary into the White House, as far as most people are concerned, would be tantamount to giving Bill four more years on top of the eight years he already spent as president.

A black man for president? I’m not going to say, never. But it’s NOT going to happen in 2008. Why? Race is too STICKY an ISSUE in America. It’s still a TABOO topic. Case in point: several hundred a month read this blog. On average twelve individuals will leave a comment for each article posted.

Barack Obama is one of a kind in American history, the FIRST black leader to stand on a UNIFYING agenda for change. His primary agenda does NOT focus on issues concerning the black community. But unfortunately for Barack and his supporters, what will overshadow his chances are the divisive platforms of his predecessors, the likes of Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, Shirley Chisolm, and Carol Mosley-Braun.

Whether or not they were running for political office, historically the primary interests of black leaders have been issues in the black community. I’m not saying that was a wrong position. It was necessary for the socio/political climate at the time.

Whites in America have justifiably bristled in response to the leaders of the black community. On both sides of the racial divide there have been reasons for suspicion of motives. White leaders in American history, past and recent, have not consistently tried to advance the interest of black Americans. By the same token, black leaders of America’s past and recent history, have taken an approach that suggests there will always be an outstanding debt owed by America to the black community. Neither approach can work to advance us as a societal whole. Barack Obama, in his wisdom, recognizes this, thus his unifying change agenda.

The reality is this: typically, precedents are set AFTER unprecedents FAIL. Also, if we are too afraid to TALK about RACE/BLACK/WHITE issues, then we are NOT brave enough to vote objectively, in private, for its representatives. It is only societal ills left unaddressed that run rampant in the dark and undercover: i.e., human trafficking, incest, media black-outs, for a few examples.

Where we stand as an America on our racial divide is still a sore spot that we’re not all ready to talk about… yet. Know why? The road to functional family living begins with a mirror that must be held in front of each family member. Are you really ready to take an HONEST look at yourself? You might want to do that before you head out to the polls.

Eyes wide open, icanseeclearlynow

19 comments:

Granny Annie said...

You certainly do see clearly and you express your thoughts quite clearly as well. Keep it coming.

Nikki said...

YAY I am first!!! Ok so this was an awesome post. EXTREMELY well written and I must say that I did not know the religions of those Presidents you mentioned and I found that very informative and interesting. We have talked about this a little bit before and I think Barack Obama would have a very good chance of winning were he not SO liberal. If he were more moderate like Colin Powell I think he could win, I like him very much as a candidate but am in too much disagreement policy wise. For me a candidate doesn't have to be 100% in line with my opinions but my priority opinions are what I focus on. The war on terror and taxes are my biggies and he and I are miles apart,same with Hillary and she just annoys me. Most Presidents are very moderate. Even Bill Clinton had a very moderate political philosophy. Hillary is another story. I asked my son who said that he would never vote for "that girl" and after prying he flat out said that a man should be the President. Now my husband does dishes, laundry, cooks you name it and treats me with so much respect he should be cloned. I am not sure where this little attitude came from. I was taken back by it and of course lectured him pretty good. But I think a woman President may be further away than a black President. I think Colin Powell would have walked away with it if he were running. Hillary is too "I am woman" to get the white male vote. This is a great article and I may just have to put a link to it on my blog!!(of course I will have to figure out how first)Great job Maria!!! well worth the wait and by the looks of feedjit I have been waiting!!!! hugs :)Nikki

Nikki said...

dang I was too long winded granny annie beat me!!!! N

Sandi said...

Very well written. And, sadly, probably true. I'm ready for a woman president, but not Hilary. I didn't realize it until I had to fill out my absentee ballot today and just couldn't do it. Obama may not win, but he has my vote.

icanseeclearlynow said...

granny annie, thanks!

nikki, thanks! nice kudos from you girlie. jacob may have made some observances about hillary that he's not articulating... who knows! he sounds pretty sharp, that kid. link away! thanks again, girlie!

sandi, thanks! to be honest, i don't even know what to say about hillary. she's a conundrum.

:)

Cheryl Wray said...

I really do hope we're getting closer to the day where we will choose the best PERSON for the job. But not sure we're there yet!

I'm really conflicted about who will get my vote. Glad to know I still have a while till I have to cast one.

Anonymous said...

We will be watching closely from north of the border. Very interesting stuff.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you and also with Nikki on Colin Powell. I could not vote for anyone that far left because of my core beliefs. The reason he isn't going to be the first black President is, in my opinion, the deeply held racism that runs through out the Democratic party. I would be willing to bet the first elected black President will be a Republican. I mean people will always remember the racism of Bull Conner (D) in Alabama, Al Gore's father (D Senator) leading the effort fighting the civil rights act in the 60's and anyone want to guess who is the only sitting member of the US Congress that was the Grand Marshall of the KKK?
Try Robert Byrd of West Va.
The Democrats will never let him win, if he does their general voter will not turn out and the Reps. will turn out against his left wing views.
Just my take.
Great post.

Chatterness said...

AMERICA IS READY, Maria.

Unknown said...

Maybe I'm deluding myself, but I still have a bit of hope that he could make it!

icanseeclearlynow said...

cheryl, me too. i'm always hoping...

trish, it's like watching a tv show.

southern sage, you know, i agree with you on the democrats. and whether it's hillary or barack, the party is going to be seriously split. good points. thanks for stopping by.

patti & andrea, i hope i'm proven wrong. we'll seen in 10 months.

Barrie said...

Very interesting post. Of course, there's always the chance that maybe, just maybe, American will surprise us. :)

Angel said...

it really is soooo sad...but you're right. And I think Obama would do a fantastic job as President too. Hubs doesn't think that we are ready for a Black president either...so sad.

Anonymous said...

I think that they can surely win if the ticket is Clinton/Obama, if not I think heads up against Mccain either gets seriously stomped, even though on alot of issues they are about the same.

quietstorm said...

behind every powerful man there is a stong woman. i would love to see hillary go the distance and win. i would even love to see obama win and become this country's president. but i don't think that will happen for either candidate this time around.

Eastcoastdweller said...

I can't wait, I absolutely can't wait for the day that I can cast my vote for a competent, upstanding, intelligent Female president.

Since there are thousands, if not millions of Women who fit that bill -- CEOS, governors and "ordinary" Women -- one of them eventually will run for office.

I just don't think Hillary is it. I smell corruption in her baggage and I can't stand her horrible husband.

Obama's a good, clean candidate. I respect that. A little too liberal for me but I don't care at all about his skin color.

Maria said...

I have never had a problem with Bill Clinton. And if I have to hear that he is a "philanderer" once more time, I will puke. So was Johnson. So was Ike. So was Roosevelt. So was Kennedy. Funny, how they didn't get branded with the letter A....

If you build it, he (or she) will come.

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Larramie said...

Maria, in essence, you're a social commentator with insight and common sense combined with wisdom. Have you ever thought of writing op-ed pieces or have you already done so?

ba and the boys said...

it is beth anne again. i followed this from nikkis blog, so i am replying a month after you posted this!
i would vote for a woman...just not THAT woman. even my 7 year old boy cheers when he hears hil lost another primary (btw-today there is voting going on in 4 states...we will see what happenes tomorrow). i like obama for the speaches he gives (so hopeful and inspiring) and because he is a good person (at least, i feel that he is. i read his book a few weeks ago.). will i vote for him? uncertain. will i vote for mccain? dont know. i would NEVER vote for yuckabee and im not sure why he doesnt give up already. november is along way away (but will be here before i know it). as soon as we get down to 2 canidates, i will start watching debates again and do alot of praying.
we really need some one good in the white house...