CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 15, 2008

Quid Pro Quo, My Turn

Well here are my answers, not because 15 of you responded, but because I got twice the responses that I expected.

Sex Talk
I began having age appropriate sex discussions with each of my daughters when they were five. Prior to that I explained to them about "good touch" and "bad touch." During that time of my life I was a social worker who taught sex education in a teen-pregnancy and drug prevention/education agency. I’ve also used teachable moments when situations presented themselves since each of my girls were in kindergarten. Examples of those moments came through t.v., comments relayed to them by friends, couples smooching in the park, etc. Today they are 19 and 16. We still talk, but it’s more conversational than didactic.

My Drug Use
When they were 14 and 17 I told them a little bit about my experience, which was very minimal, but not everything. I told them enough to let them know that I would not be where I am today if I did anything more than experimenting. What prompted me to tell them was the stories they were telling me about some kids they’d been observing at their school (users and sellers). And they fessed up to their own experimenting as well.

White People & Black History
I’m not qualified to answer what white people think about black history month.

Black People & Black History
I am a black woman. No, I do not celebrate black history month. I’ve never seen a need. I have shared ALL history with my daughters since they were toddlers. They grew up visiting bookstores and libraries with me. We are of mixed heritage: their father and his family are from the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico. My parents are black, my grandmother was Cuban, and my paternal great-grandmother was white. History envelopes our lives all year long.

Teenage Sex in My Home
No, I would not permit my daughters to have sex in my home, as teenagers. As young adults, probably yes. (If they are reading this, girls, see me to get an accurate definition of “young adult”).

Death Penalty
No, I do not believe the death penalty is an effective deterrent. Non-killers and non-criminal minded people come up with our laws. Outlaws laugh at them.

Would You Kill?
I would tear a femoral artery and/or jugular vein with my teeth if someone were trying to hurt either of my daughters or my husband.

Neighbors
On our left lives a black family and on our right lives an Asian family. I wouldn’t trade them, not because of their ethnicity, but because for the most part, we’re all quiet neighbors and respectful of one another’s privacy. We don’t invite each other over for barbecues but we exchange warm greetings and look out for each other’s homes when one family is away. Further down are three black families that I’d love to put on a slow boat to China, not because they’re black. It’s because they’re city people who brought their obnoxious city ways to our rural side of the world. Idiots!

Bank Robbing Off-Spring
If my child robbed a bank, I would NOT turn them in. If they were career bank robbers, I would have nothing to do with them. But if in the very unlikely event, they were part of a one-time caper, where they didn’t and wouldn’t get caught, phfft! Their secret is safe with me. I believe that all government, corporations, insurance companies, and ALL such big business are loaded with a bunch of crooks with the law on their side. Scammers! Taking the little guy’s money. One bank robbery? Phfft! I’m not giving up ANYBODY!

There’s my take, guys. Thanks for giving me your views!

Eyes wide open, icanseeclearlynow

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good answers.
Loved the would you kill!!!

Nikki said...

THIS WAS FUN....let's do some more questions!!! :)N

Jessica said...

Great answers. It sounds like you're a good mom with a lot of sass! :)

icanseeclearlynow said...

sage, hmm why am i not surprised at your delight with my primal side? ;)

nik, that WAS fun! i will DEFINITELY do something like this again! ;)

foster, thank you! yeah, i think my girls kinda like me. ;)

Chatterness said...

This is too fun! It's great that you have a huge fan base. I can see myself posting something like this and getting zero comments! LMAO!

Also, I am soooooooooooooooooooooo sorry I keep missing your calls at work!!!! I have been overwhelmed and away from my office every single time you've called! The very best time to call me is is before noon or after 3. I've been so darn busy at work I can't see straight. I think I'm going to have to go in tomorrow (Sunday) and work for about 5 hours. I cannot get anything done b/c during normal working hours, it is FULL SPEED AHEAD with little time to do my paper work! I cannot wait unitl we finally CONNECT! I will probably SCREAM LIKE A NERD into the phone! :::nerdy me::::

Sandi said...

Great answers. I especially like the part about your daughters clarifying with you what "young adult" means!

icanseeclearlynow said...

patti, LOL! umm... ok, i don't know about having a huge fan base. but THANKS for your support, girlie. yeah, this was fun. i probably will do it again one day. i'll try to call again soon. we'll both scream, though mine will be stifled cause i'm not the head honcho at my work place. :)

sandi, thanks! LOL! you know you have to be specific with young people! ;)

Unknown said...

Have I mentioned lately how much I think you ROCK? :) I LOVE how straight-forward your answers are and admire you for your views.

Lucy Stern said...

First time reader, nice blog. My mom was always there to talk to us about sex and many other things. I think she did a better job of talking than I have done with my own kids. I thave three kids and each one is totally different. I have to use different tactics with each one of them. Thanks for your openness.

icanseeclearlynow said...

andrea, you once did a saturday post about barnes & nobles and your hubby that sounded just like me. LOL! call it narcissism, but i think you ROCK too!

lucy, isn't it amazing how different siblings can be?! you're right to use different tactics. welcome to my blog. hope to see you again!

Angel said...

God, you crack me up!!!! No wonder I am in love with you!!!!!

eyes_only4him said...

ha, I love u...I would kill too, in just that matter and for just that reason;)

icanseeclearlynow said...

beth, i've loved you from the start, so there!

ffm, where the heck have you been?! i love you too girlie!