CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Raising Our Kids - Part 2

I DO want to add something about the kinds of jobs parents are doing with raising their kids. I have two daughters, 19 and 16. They couldn’t be more different from each other. I love them both dearly and am extremely proud of the young women they’ve become.

However.

My oldest came to this planet with a mild irritation in her demeanor that morphed into a full blown attitude by the time she was two. It was like she had a few tiffs with my spleen and other innards before she made her appearance in this world.

During her infancy there was lots of crying. If she could speak at that time I feel certain she would have told me that her formula wasn’t warm enough or there was a pea imbedded in her crib mattress.

Thank god her sister came along three years later to distract her from her woes.

Here is my point: this older child of mine was difficult to love. She fought me at almost every turn. My recourse? I had to love her more. I had to show her more love, more patience, more consideration than I did my youngest. It was a pride swallowing, ego-stomping journey layered with gobs of mental gymnastics and hugs and kisses whether I felt like it or not.

Today she is a young woman that I am proud to call my own, I admire her so. A college sophomore with a 3.5 GPA, her drive and focus is a thing to behold. But she is also just as flawed as the rest of us are. What I am always mindful of when I look at her today and reflect on how she grew up, is how different she could have turned out.

What prompted me to write this addendum, was having my bedroom slippers, this morning, suction noisily at a sticky, clear-brown, dried puddle on the white linoleum beneath our fridge. My college girl has been home from school one week, but she’s still a work in progress. Only she would spill a puddle of iced tea in the middle of the night and walk away from it as if she were walking away from a spill in the street.

Oh yes, my lovely girl might have turned out differently were it not for the choices I made. Even if I did something as unintentional as staying out of her way and simply providing for her physical needs, she would have been ruined. So in the end, the truth is, I stand on both ends of this issue. Every individual should most certainly be held accountable for any grievous action they take against another.

But on the other hand, SHAME on the parents out there that indulged their wayward offspring or held their breath as they studied the hands of time, eagerly waiting to turn their unattended trouble-maker out onto the world.

The tears for your train-wreck in some county’s courtroom are for your rotten, selfish self.

Eyes wide open, icanseeclearlynow

17 comments:

Unknown said...

This week I've been comparing child-rearing to gardening. What sucks about that is that I am terrible at gardening because I either give the plants too much care or not enough. I can't seem to find a middle ground with it. Hopefully I can raise a child better than I can garden. Just like the formula is not the same for every plant, the formula is not the same for every child, either. You show that with the tales of your daughters, complete opposites yet beautiful and strong in their own ways.

I still feel a bit of pity for the parents of train-wrecks, though, even if the tears are for their rotten, selfish self. They didn't get the formula right for their child.

icanseeclearlynow said...

andrea, you're right, it is like a formula. there's a zillion different parents. the selfish ones i'm referring to are but a portion. i'm just calling them out. my mother is one of them who has repeatedly covered for my younger brother AND her husband, both of whom should be in jail. but that's for another post.

later gator.

:)

Wendy aka Cheeky said...

My sister claims that if I had my son before my daughter I would have only had one child. She was definitely waaaaaaay easy.

Nikki said...

Hey there chicky pooh.......I am so far behind on Christmas crap it isn't even funny. I have been a little scarce and I can't wait for it all to end at this point and I am a Christmas LOVER!!! I am tired.
OK so great follow up post to an important subject. We all need to double check our parenting again and again. Bottom line is that we teach our children what to value. So when they value nothing and hate everything what does that tell us. I do think there is absentee parenting going on. Sometimes I wonder about these Oprah shows that tell women to focus more on our lives, take some me time, yadda yadda yadda. I think that is all well and good but there is always the woman that takes it too far and focuses too much on self while family suffers. Mind-jogging as usual......AND I LOVE IT!!!
Nik

icanseeclearlynow said...

cheeky, your sister knows you well.

nikki, i live in an area where a LOT of city people moved into and continue to commute the 2 hours back to the city. you're right about absentee parenting. i see their kids wandering around the community, bored out of their skulls. too sad.

Sherry said...

I've been reading along, not commenting, just enjoying your thoughts, your wisdom...and you'll understand then why I chose you as one of the 5 people I felt deserving of a lion's roar award.

Nikki said...

hey under the umbrella of this post.........what's up with Britneys sister knocked up at 16......and a teen beat her 7 year old sister to death acting out mortal combat? what the freak??? You will be happy to know that Lynne Spears was writing a book on parenting and I guess with the recent light of teeny preggy she was dropped from the project. wtf
Nik

Sandi said...

Raising kids is such a challenge and you never really know if you got the "formula" right until they're grown.

As for walking over a spill, sounds like her male side took over for a minute!

Granny Annie said...

Take a break from seeing clearly and relax to embrace the holidays with your wonderful kids. I have a feeling you have been a very good, wise and loving mom! Merry, Merry, Happy, Happy, Ho, Ho, Ho......See you again in 2008!

icanseeclearlynow said...

nik, the world goes a little bit madder everyday.

sandi, oh yes. she's always been in touch with her male side. of course i LOVE all of her sides.

granny annie, you are a sweetie! thanks! merry christmas and happy holidays to you too!

quietstorm said...

this piece really touched me honey. it's a mystery why some parents don't get how important it is to shower kids with love no matter how rotten they behave. it's takes being selfless to the third power. great writing as always. yndml. aafely. i'll decode that for you soon.. later loml.

MissKris said...

After having worked in the public school system for several years, I've witnessed a hundred-fold overindulged, spoiled rotten brats. I've also seen some of the sweetest, best kids ever. Parenting is the hardest job in the world...GOOD parenting. Loving the hard-to-love. Sacrificing so much of our own time and our own wants to be there for our kids. Why oh why can't someone make it a universal LAW that makes couples who want to be parents first have to pass a test to prove they know what it takes to be a good parent?!? It's not 'til we're there in the midst of colic and sleeplessness and round-the-clock bottles that we realize just what it takes to be a 24/7/365 parent. That's MY roar, lol! If you read this before Christmas...blessings to you, my precious friend! And I promise to get an email off to you as soon as I can. (((((HUGS)))))

debra said...

Good to have found you! My daughters are also 19 and 16 (turned 16 Friday). I have also equated parenting with gardening: we prepare the soil, ammend it as best we can, plant the best seeds we can, but we d not make it grow. It does that all by itself.

icanseeclearlynow said...

krissy, i'm with you on that LAW for couples. we can always daydream. blessings to you also, girlie! ((((hugs))))

debra, glad you found me too! oh i'm sure we can sway some serious stories having raised two your women. whew!

Granny Annie said...

It's me again. I'm still gone for holidays but had to share this favorite of mine:

On Children
Kahlil Gibran

Your children are not your children.
They are the sons and daughters of Life's longing for itself.
They come through you but not from you,
And though they are with you yet they belong not to you.

You may give them your love but not your thoughts,
For they have their own thoughts.
You may house their bodies but not their souls,
For their souls dwell in the house of tomorrow,
which you cannot visit, not even in your dreams.
You may strive to be like them,
but seek not to make them like you.
For life goes not backward nor tarries with yesterday.

You are the bows from which your children
as living arrows are sent forth.
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite,
and He bends you with His might
that His arrows may go swift and far.
Let our bending in the archer's hand be for gladness;
For even as He loves the arrow that flies,
so He loves also the bow that is stable.

icanseeclearlynow said...

granny annie, i discovered this passage when my daughters were small. the words freed me and i have tried to live by them since. thanks for sharing!

Barrie said...

Congratulations on your award.Totally deserved!